Dear CUMC Family:
By now you’ve no doubt heard that the CUMC facility flooded last weekend due to a broken (frozen) pipe. The sanctuary and all of downstairs has been impacted, and the Clothing Closet is closed until further notice, likely through March. This means more than 1000 families/people who are in need of clothing will not get it. If you know of people who need help, please have them contact the church by calling 474-3915.
We will continue to worship each week, meeting in the fellowship hall. The opportunity we have here is that many people who might normally be unsure or uncomfortable coming to church will be more receptive to the idea of meeting in a more casual atmosphere like the fellowship hall. Consider what friends and neighbors might enjoy worship in this kind of atmosphere.
This week we continue our series of messages looking at the question of suffering. Is God unfair? How do we make sense of tragedy and heartache in the world and a loving God? For those of you on Facebook, you can find a great conversation on this topic under one of my posts.
Here’s what else is going on:
1. Oil Assistance: Once again, the Rotary Club is providing assistance for people in Cornville, Canaan, Smithfield, Mercer, Skowhegan, Norridgewock and Madison for people 65 or older. They must have some financial hardship (fixed income, for example.) People wanting assistance can go to the Federated Church Tuesday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
2. Conversation with the Bishop on the Way Forward Commission: The meeting planned for today at Pleasant St. UMC has been postponed to February 17th at 1 p.m. and has been relocated to the Green St. UMC in Augusta. This is a chance to meet with the Bishop and others about the Way Forward Commission’s progress as they prepare to offer the church a path forward related to people who are LGBTQi. Find more details here: https://www.neumc.org/eventdetail/10280739
3. Prayer Partner in Adversity: We’ve been asked to be a prayer partner to the Bridgton UMC in Maine. This past weekend, they lost their boiler and may not be able to return to their building at all. Please keep the people of BUMC in your daily prayers!
4. Announcements: Just a reminder that if you have an announcement, please contact Janet Malek (firstname.lastname@example.org) or me before Sunday so we can can include it during the service.
5. Connect to the website: Our website is www.centenaryfaith.org, and other way to keep connected to what’s happening. In addition, on most weekends, the audio of the weekly message and Grow-Pray-Study guide are available for download. Currently we have people listening in from all over the country, including our own neighborhood.